Check out Monday's post Any Questions? and let me know what's on your minds!
Also, check out my guest blog at G.I. Joe's Wife! I'm revisiting my birth experience while she's having her own baby!
I got this idea on a whim while looking at my recipe books the other day - I wanted to do an entire week of crock pot meals. I wanted to revamp our typical menu and try new recipes. So I broke open my crock pot book, Fix-It and Forget-It, and flipped through the pages until I found six meals I wanted to make. This is the first one. (And yeah, I'll have some double posts. Whatevs ;) )
Italian Roast with Potatoes
(because, let's face it, who doesn't like a good roast?)
6 medium potatoes, peeled if desired, and quartered
1 large onion, sliced
3-4 lb boneless beef roast
26 oz jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
1/2 cup water
3 beef bouillon cubes
Of course, then I ran into the problem of fitting that hunk of meat in the crock! But we manuevered the potatoes and onions a bit and got it to fit. Here's the rest of the recipe.
1. Brown roast on top and bottom (can be skipped, but it adds flavor)
2. Place potatoes and onion in the bottom of the crock pot, then place roast on top.
3. Pour any drippings from the skillet over the meat (I used some water to get the drippings off)
4. Mix 1 cup pasta sauce with 1/2 cup water and the bouillon cubes. Pour over meat.
5. Cover and cook for 6-7 hours on Low.
6. When done, take it out, mix 1 cup cooking juices in saucepan with remaining pasta. Heat.
7. Slice or cube the beef, serve with heated sauce. EAT!
My Review: Meat. Potatoes. What's not to love? The beef was perfect, it was juicy and it fell apart just looking at it. The tomato sauce was a good topping and the potatoes were super soft. I made a side of asparagus and mushrooms (roasted in the oven for about 20 min at 350, with oil, salt and pepper), and a chunk of homemade bread. There are plenty of leftovers too! I'm calling this a win and a good start to Crock Pot Week.
Stay tuned tomorrow for our next meal: Thai Chicken.